Best Bonnet Hair Dryer – Top Hooded Dryer for Black Review for 2020
It goes without saying that black hair is naturally beautiful. However, styling black hair may be quite tricky. The main reason being that it gets tangled quite easily and it also gets dry faster.
So how do you efficiently take care of your black hair?
Perhaps the most important thing to do is to ensure that your black hair maintains its shiny natural appearance. You can achieve this by using a hooded dryer. However, most people prefer regular dryers, and this is why you should not be one of them.
|① Nova Professional 1300W Hooded Hair Dryer **TOP PICK**|
|② Laila Ali LADR5603 Ionic Dryer|
|③ Conair Pro Bonnet Hair Dryer|
|④ Tourmaline Tools Hooded Hair Dryer|
|⑤ Conair Soft Bonnet Hair Dryer|
Why not a regular hand-held hair dryer?
While a regular hand-held dryer can do the trick, if you want to achieve that silky-smooth hair, a hooded dryer is the ideal kind of dryer for you. It is also referred to as a sit-under or a hands-free dryer.
A hooded dryer also works magic when it comes to keeping your hair dry as black hair is mostly massive in terms of volume and may be hectic to dry using conventional drying methods. There are two types of hooded dryers. These are the soft hood types and the hard hat types.
When it comes to figuring out which one to use, you need to consider the type of hair that you have.
Top 5 Hooded Hair Dryers
① Nova Professional 1300W Hooded Hair Dryer
This is a professional, free-standing hair dryer that is perfect as a styling took for coloring, for a hot-perm, conditioning, hair treatment, spot caring and as the name suggests, for hair drying as well. With this product, you need not keep switching positions and angles while drying your hair as you can simply sit under the dryer as it does its magic.
It has a conveniently hinged door and an adjustable front visor as well as a large adjustable bonnet that can accommodate even the largest of rollers. It also has a dual-looped stainless steel heating element as well as buttons that can be used to adjust the heat between the heat levels of 0 degrees and 75 degrees.
The design is portable as it has wheels on its legs, making it easy to move around. The height of the dryer is also adjustable; hence can be used while standing or sitting.
- It is portable since it has wheeled legs
- It can reach a maximum heat level of 75 degrees making it suitable for black hair
- The height is adjustable using a knob
- It is lightweight
- It has a timing function that ranges between zero to sixty minutes
- It is costly
- Putting it together may be difficult
② Laila Ali LADR5603 Ionic Dryer
The salon ionic dryer is designed to help retain the moisture of the hair hence preventing breakage. This is made possible by the ionic technology that is used by the dryer. The ionic technology is, however optional; it can be turned on and off with a single on or off switch.
It is more advisable that you turn it on as it ensures your hair maintains its shine and healthy appearance. To ensure that you are aware of whether or not the ionic lights are on or off, there is a light indicator that turns on and off depending on the state of the ionic technology.
The hooded dryer has a balanced airflow design to ensure that the hair dries evenly. It has two heat and speed settings that allow you to choose the setting that works best for your drying and styling needs. Once you are done drying, you can use the cool setting to cool the hair and set the style you want.
The hood is large enough to accommodate even the largest of rollers.
- It has ionic technology that assists the hair to retain moisture
- The ionic technology can be turned on and off using a switch
- It is large enough to accommodate large rollers
- It has two heat and speed settings to choose from
- It also has a cool setting for cooling hair after styling
- It lacks in height adjustments
- The heat levels are low
③ Conair Pro Bonnet Hair Dryer
The hood of this dryer is large enough to accommodate a set of jumbo rollers. It has a variable airflow setting that allows for maximum styling comfort of the user. There is also an even airflow distribution that surrounds the head gently to allow for the hair to dry gently and evenly.
The height of the hooded dryer is adjustable. This means that it can be used while standing or while sitting down. The cord of the hooded dryer is six feet long and stored at the base. It also has two heat and speed settings that can be changed at your conveniences.
It has a built-in handle for carrying. It also folds to allow compact storage.
- It folds and comes with a build in handle making it easy to transport and carry
- It has a large hood to accommodate large rollers
- It has adjustable heights
- The cord is long enough and efficient
- It contains some chemicals that may be harmful
- It tends to overheat
④ Tourmaline Tools Hooded Hair Dryer
It has a pre-moisture system that transforms the airflow of the dryer into a hydrating spa treatment just for your hair. The 1875-Watt output dies the hair up to fifty times faster, leaving your hair shiny, more soft, free from frizz, and silkier.
Its visor at the front is adjustable, and the bonnet is both large to accommodate even the longest and largest rollers and also it is also adjustable. It has a two-speed option and unlike other hooded dryers four heat options. Its cord is nine feet long, and it has two wheels that are both lockable and removable for stability and compact storage respectively.
- Unlike most hooded hair dryers, it has four heat options to select from and also two-speed options
- It has an adjustable front visor
- It has an adjustable bonnet
- It has two wheels for stability
- Its wheels are removable making storage easy
- Its height is not adjustable
- It can overheat
⑤ Conair Soft Bonnet Hair Dryer
It is perfect for easy styling, and or hot conditioning. It has four speed and four heat options, including a cool setting that can be used after drying, making styling easy. It also comes with a bonus hot air vent brush attachment that allows for smooth and straight styling of the hair.
It has an extra-large soft bonnet to fit large volumes of hair as well as very large rollers. The bonnet is secured and kept in place by drawstrings. It also comes with a compact storage space with handles that allow you to save space and makes traveling easy.
It also has an extra-long four-foot hose as well as an easy lock feature.
- It has four heat options as well as four-speed options which makes it stand out from other brands
- It has a large soft bonnet
- It has a bonus hit air vent brush attachment suitable for smooth and straight styles
- It has a compact storage case with handles
- Its height is not adjustable
- The bonnet is not adjustable
How do you use a hooded dryer?
The first step is to wash your hair very thoroughly using a shampoo of your choice as well as a conditioner. What comes next is rinsing off the hair of the shampoo and conditioner preferably using warm water as it will protect the hair from breakage. Then you ought to dry the hair gently using a clean towel.
Cotton is the most suitable when it comes to the type of material you use to dry your hair as it tends to be soft and absorbent as well. Be wise not to dry the hair roughly as it may lead to damages.
The next step is to divide or split the hair into small sections. This will make drying the hair more manageable. With that, you can begin with the drying process. You can either sit or stand, depending on the type of hooded dryer you acquired.
To ensure you get the best results possible, it is advisable to keep reducing the power of the hooded dryer bit by bit. Finally, you need to cool the hair to give it that final soft and shiny look.
What are the benefits of using a hooded dryer for your black hair?
- It allows your hair to absorb the essential nutrients that are contained in a hair conditioner hence the reason it is used after conditioning your hair
- It helps get rid of the white flecks found in the hair
- The fact that it does not expose the hair to direct heat makes it less of a damaging agent for the hair
- It takes a shorter time to dry the hair as compared to a hand dryer or other basic hair dryers
- It produces amazing wet set styles for your hair because it can dry the hair quite fast
- Using a hooded dryer also makes it possible to multitask as you dry your hair
How do you ensure you get the best results from using a hooded dryer?
If you decide to use a hooded dryer, you might as well make sure that you get the most out of it. So, this is how you do that;
- Use a heat protector for your hair- you may be wondering why this is necessary since we previously expressed that the heat of a hooded dryer does not damage hair. Well, the protector is not for the heat actually, but it is meant to help repair hair that was previously damaged.
- Ensure you use ear protectors- this may come in handy, especially if you are using a hard hat dryer. The reason is that this type of dryer tends to have very high-temperature options.
- You can also use a UV shield- this one is the kind of protector that you use to keep the heat away from your face, ears, and neck as well by deflection.
Factors to consider when choosing the best-hooded dryer for black hair
The first and probably most important factor is the wattage. This is the level of temperature for the dryer. A good wattage level, as well as the ability to regulate the heat temperature levels, will go a long way in helping you achieve your style choices.
For a soft hood, the preferable wattage is between 500 to 800 watts while for a hard hart, 1200 to 1900 watts is the go-to wattage.
The ionic hair feature is another factor to consider. A good hooded dryer should be able to allow for the flow of negative ions which are needed to maintain healthy hair growth. The negative ions close up the cuticles giving your hair a shiny appearance, and it also breaks down the water molecules quickly drying the hair faster.
The heat and speed features are also worth looking into. A good hooded dryer should have accommodating heat and speed options. Another feature to consider is the cool shot that cools the hair after drying, facilitating easier and better styling.
Conclusion & What is the Best Hooded Hair Dryer for Black Hair
The five hooded dryers reviewed in this article are some of the best-hooded dryers for black hair. The reason is that the temperature levels are right for black hair, the sizes of the bonnets are also accommodating to the volume of the black hair, the speed and heat features are also suitable in all the hooded dryers discussed above.
However, if we were to pick the best option, we would go for the Nova Professional 1300W Hooded Hair Dryer (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE). It happens to meet all the features of a good hooded dryer for black hair. What should be looking for?
The wattage is just right, the heat and speed options are accommodating, the bonnet is large enough to accommodate the volume of black hair, the height is adjustable as well as the bonnet and the ionic feature is just right.
So, if you are looking for the best-hooded dryer for black hair, go for the Nova Professional 100W Hooded Hair Dryer.