What is the Top Dry Shampoo for Black Hair? Best Dry Shampoos for Dark Hair in 2020
Shampooing is an essential part of maintaining your hair. It is required that you clean your hair regularly failure to which you may end up suffering from a dry scalp which results in itching and other issues related to not having clean hair. The best way to keep your hair clean is wet shampooing.
However, wet shampooing may be hectic and time-consuming. Is this an issue for you? If it is, then the best solution is dry shampooing.
Dry shampoo is just like a regular shampoo. The difference is that it is sprayed or applied on dry hair and does not have to be rinsed off.
The downside to using dry shampoo is that it can get messy. If you do not get the right kind, it might leave behind a white substance and at times may end up clogging the roots of your hair. When this happens, you will have no choice but to wash your hair, which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place.
However, with the right product, you can keep your hair clean without having to wet shampoo it. When it comes to natural black hair, I have found it hard to trust that dry shampooing will work without tampering with my hair straightening.
It is already hard enough to tame natural black hair. With such hair, even the slightest contact with hair leads to tangling and curling. Therefore, washing the hair is not an event I look forward to hence the need for dry shampoo.
Below is a list of eight of the best reviewed dry shampoo brands for black hair.
Best Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair List
|① Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo, Dark Tones **TOP PICK**|
|② R+CO Death Valley Dry Shampoo|
|③ Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk|
|④ Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle|
|⑤ Elizabeth & James Nirvana Black Dry Shampoo|
① Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo, Dark Tones
This is a dry cleansing spray shampoo that was created specifically for dark hair. It is made with ultra-fine rice starches that absorb the oil from the hair as well as the buildup of other hair products. All this is done without leaving behind any form of residue or causing any mess.
The Moroccanoil dry cleansing shampoo is fragranced with the moniker Moroccanoil scent. It is formulated to cleanse and refresh the hair without necessarily affecting the richness of the natural dark tone of the hair. Additionally, it protects the hair from the damage that can be caused by dangerous UV rays.
This product is the go-to product for black hair as it does not mess with the straightness of the hair whatsoever. So if you have gotten your hair straightened, fear not, this is the product for you.
- It has ultra-fine starches of rice that absorb the oil and product buildup in the hair
- It has a sweet Moroccanoil fragrance scent
- It has no adverse effects on the richness of natural dark hair
- It protects the hair from UV rays damage
- Does not leave behind any residue
- It is expensive
- It does not entirely take the place of wet shampooing
② R+CO Death Valley Dry Shampoo, 1.6 Fl Oz
This dry shampoo is made from ingredients like Proteins that are sourced from Brazil and help to moisturize the hair while improving its elasticity, Vitamin E which strengthens, nourishes and restores the hair and is rich in oxidants, as well as silica and the pro-vitamin B 5.
The silica helps in absorbing and removing the excess oil in the hair. Vitamin B 5 helps to condition the hair, thicken, and build the volume of the hair. The R+CO Death Valley Dry Shampoo works well on thick and messy hair.
Additionally, this product gives your hair UV protection, and it is purely a vegan product. This means that it is made exclusively from natural ingredients.
- It is made purely from natural ingredients
- It absorbed excess oil
- It conditions the hair
- It increases the body and the volume of the hair
- Offers UV protection
- It may not work for people with beautiful hair and an oily scalp
- Failure to follow the instructions may result in a residue
③ Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk, Paraben and Sulfate-Free
Klorane is an award-winning dry shampoo that cleanses the hair within a few minutes of application. It is an herbal product made from purely natural ingredients. The presence of oat milk in the formula helps to soothe the hair and protect the hair and the scalp as well.
It is also made up or starches of corn and rice, which help in absorbing oil and creating a powerful cleansing action. It is ultra-fine, meaning that it can be brushed off easily without leaving behind any residue or dulling the hair. Above it all, it increases the volume of the hair and the body as well.
It is perfect for all hair types and sensitive skin and scalp as well.
- It is botanical
- It is perfect for all hair types and sensitive scalp
- It eliminates excess oil
- It does not leave behind any residue
- If used with heat, it may result in burning.’
- It is costly
④ Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle for Oily Hair
Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle refreshes the hair in between washes, and it works perfectly for oily hair. It combines the best ingredients in nature to create the best herbal product that is perfect for any hair type.
It is rich in Oat Milk which is clinically proven to be a protective agent and soothing agent for the hair. It also helps to maintain the natural balance of the scalp. Nettle is also one of its ingredients which helps in purifying and restoring the hair while regulating its Sebo-properties.
- It is made from natural ingredients
- It contains oat milk which protects and soothes the hair
- It absorbs oil from the hair and product buildup
- It contains nettle which purifies and restores the hair
- It is expensive
- When used with heat it may result in burning
⑤ Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black Dry Shampoo
Elizabeth and James Nirvana Back Dry Shampoo is a great fragrance shampoo that refreshes the hair within just a few minutes of application. On top of that, it has been known to increase the body and the volume of the hair. It also improves the texture of the hair.
This dry shampoo leaves the hair perfumed with a sweet Nirvana Black fragrance. It gets rid of hair dullness and cleanses the hair in between washes. It also has restorative features, which may be what your hair needs. This product rarely leaves behind any form of residue upon usage and is beautiful enough to be easily brushed off.
- It refreshes and cleanses the hair
- It does not leave behind any oily residue
- It absorbs excess oil from the scalp and the hair
- It has a sweet fragrance.’
- It may be challenging to acquire as most customers have complained that it is always sold out
- Several counterfeit products mimic this brand
⑥ Batiste Dry Shampoo, Divine Dark
Batiste Dry Shampoo refreshes the hair. It does so by removing oil and grease from the hair and the scalp, leaving you with a clean and refreshed feeling and a hair that does not look dull.
This dry shampoo is also guaranteed to increase the body and improve on the texture of the hair, leaving it feeling bouncy and gorgeous. It is perfect for use before styling as it not only removes the oil but also leaves your hair feeling and looking fuller. It also saves time by making styling fast and easy.
It can be brushed off easily and does not leave behind a residue.
- It increases the volume and the body of the hair
- Improves the texture of the hair
- Absorbs oil from the hair
- It may tamper with the color of the hair
- In some cases, it leaves behind a color residue
⑦ All Natural and Vegan Dry Shampoo- For Medium to Dark Color Hair
This dry shampoo is made from 100% pure natural products with no parabens, artificial preservatives, talk, or any synthetic chemical ingredients. Some of the ingredients in this product include rice powder, kaolin clay, cocoa powder, bamboo charcoal, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and geranium oil. It is perfect for brunets, those with a medium as well as those with dark hair.
It works well on greasy hair as it absorbs the oil and crease from the hair without leaving behind an oily residue. It gives volume to limp hair while extending the time between washes. It also refreshes the hair and leaves it with a light floral scent of lavender and geranium.
- It absorbs excess oil and grease from hair
- It increases the volume of the hair
- It is made purely from natural ingredients’
- The scent may be a turn off to some people
- It is expensive
⑧ Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo
This is an unscented dry shampoo that is perfect for people with sensitive scalps. It is also packed with an odor eliminator, which helps to eliminate the odor from other hair products or sweat from the hair upon application.
This dry shampoo contains starch which absorbs oil and product build-up from the hair and the scalp. It is inexpensive, and it is a perfect way to refresh your hair. It is easy to brush off and does not leave behind an unwanted residue. It works on all types of hair, including the hair of any color.
- It is unscented
- It does not leave behind any residue
- It absorbs excess oil from the scalp
- It is perfect for people with a sensitive scalp
- The lack of a scent may be a turn off for some people
- It may cause burning if used with heat
How Do You Use Dry Shampoo?
Like any other hair product, there is a right method of applying dry shampoo. Failure to follow the proper procedure may result in unfavorable results. So how do you use dry shampoo?
- The first thing is to ensure that your hair is not damp. This means that is should be free from water and also free from sweat. If you are one who works out, do not use dry shampoo on sweaty hair, let the hair dry up completely. The reason is that if you use it on damp or wet hair, it may result in a residue or become messy and force you to wash the hair.
- Once you have made sure that your hair is completely dry, you can part the hair into your desired amount of sections. This will help you make the application easy.
- When it comes to applying the dry shampoo, you will realize that dry shampoos are packed in spray bottles. All you have to do is spray the shampoo on your hair from the roots. It is essential that you begin from the roots or rather the scalp as this is the breeding ground for oil and product build-up.
For those that come in powder form, then you will need to spray the powder similarly, leave it in for a while then brush it out.
- Once you have ensured that every hair strand has been shampooed, give it up to two minutes to dry then you can brush the hair. The aim or brushing is to brush off the dry shampoo. The right kind of shampoo will leave your hair moisturized, bouncy, refreshed and gorgeous and without any form of residue whatsoever.
It is important to note that some dry shampoo brands are not meant for heat. If you happen to use heat on your hair after shampooing with such a dry shampoo, it may result in severe burns.
The Different Types of Dry Shampoos
In the current market, dry shampoos come in different types depending on the color of hair it is intended for as well as the hair type. The purpose of the shampoo on the hair is also considered in the variety. Some of these varieties include:
Aerosol vs. Dry Powder Shampoo
Dry shampoos can either come in powder or aerosol form. Most women prefer the aerosol kind as it can be used directly while others prefer the powder kind as they find it to be less wasteful. Both these types work well, and the decision comes down to personal preference.
Drug Store Dry Shampoos
This brand usually comes in scents and at a lower price. However, the brand has been known to leave behind a powdery residue after brushing off.
Botanical vs. Non-Botanical Dry Shampoos
The word botanical means that its ingredients are 100% natural (vegan). The herbal kind is usually more expensive as the organic ingredients do not come cheap. They are, however, more preferable for those with sensitive scalp and also because they promote healthy hair.
Non-botanical dry shampoos, on the other hand, have traces of chemical ingredients that may cause harm to the user or cause allergic reactions. However, the precise formulation may prevent it from creating any form of damage. The non-botanical kind is also cheaper than later.
One big challenge to using dry shampoo is the fact that it is likely to turn your hair white. So how do you prevent this from happening?
To prevent your hair from turning white after using dry shampoo, the first thing to do is to ensure that you brush your hair vigorously after using a dry shampoo. It is also essential that you use the dry shampoo meant for your hair type and hair color as most dry shampoos meat for blonde hair may if used by brunettes may end up leaving the hair white.
Other Notable Facts About Dry Shampoos
- After applying dry shampoo on your hair, try not to play with your hair as it may lead to a mess.
- Contrary to public knowledge, most dry shampoos do not contain sulfates and parabens that are harmful to the hair.
- While using dry shampoos, ensure that you do not spray too close to the hair as it will not be able to distribute throughout the hair of you evenly do so.
- You should also not spray the ends as the oil absorber will leave the tips static and with a dry feel. The scalp is the do to spraying area.
What to Consider When Choosing the Right Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
- Your hair type- different brands of hair shampoos are meant for different types of hair. There are those that are meant for dark hair while other for blond hair and other models. Before choosing a specific brand, make sure you read through the description to see if they are meant for all hair types or a particular type of hair.
- The ingredients- herbal products are always the best option; however, if you have to choose a non-herbal product, be keen on the elements and their impact on your hair. Sulfates can result in breakage of the hair. There are also some ingredients that may result in allergic reactions.
- The cost- it is always advised that you choose a product that does not put a strain on your budget.
Finally, you have to know that dry shampoo is not a replacement for wet shampooing; you will still need to wash your hair after a while.
Conclusion & What is the Best Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
For natural black hair, I found that the Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo, Dark Tones (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) is the go-to product. The reason being that it is infused with beneficial Argan oil, it protects the hair against UV damage, it does not leave behind any residue, it cleanses and refreshes the hair, it maintains the natural richness of the hair, and it also increases the body and the volume of the hair. This product is precisely what you need to manage your beautiful black hair.
This dry shampoo is also cost-efficient and easy to access.
Get yourself the Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo, Dark Tones today!