What is the Top Relaxer for Black Hair? Best Professional Relaxers for African American Hair for 2019
Whether you are a man or woman, it goes without saying that we value our hair a lot. However, we women go to that extra length to make sure that our hair is on point. Such lengths include using chemical relaxers on our hair.
What does a relaxer do to your hair?
To begin with, a hair relaxer is defined as a sort of lotion or cream that is applied to the hair to make it easier to straighten and more manageable. What happens is that its chemical content reduces the curls in the hair by breaking down the strands of the hair and altering its texture chemically. This fact explains why most women who use this hair product have naturally curly hair.
When we speak of women with naturally curly hair, what comes to mind is a black woman. Black hair is by far the curliest there is. More than often, black women opt to tame their curls using chemical hair relaxers.
While using a hair relaxer can do wonders to your hair, it can also damage your hair in the long run. Before deciding on using such a product on your hair, you first need to ensure that you have the right product.
There are several such products in the market. However, not every one of them will work for your hair. In this article, we break down eight of what we found to be the best relaxers for black hair.
Best Relaxers for Black Hair List
|① Avlon Fiber Guard Sensitive Scalp Relaxer **TOP PICK**|
|② Luster’s Shortlooks Relaxer 3-n-1 Diamond Black|
|③ Avlon Affirm Sensitive Scalp Relaxer|
|④ Optimum Care Relaxer by Softsheen Carson Care|
|⑤ Softsheen- Carson Dark and Lovely No-Lye Relaxer|
① Avlon Fiber Guard Sensitive Scalp Relaxer Kit
The Avlon Fiber Guard Sensitive scalp relaxer is a product manufactured by Avlon. It is a two-step system that is guaranteed to not only soften your hair but also to leave it healthy and elastic. Its formulated in such a way that it moisturizes dry hair and leaves the scalp in a state of comfort too.
It is adjustable to mild, resistant strengths and mild. It is guaranteed to work on all types of hair, including that which has been color-treated. It also doubles down as a conditioner for the hair. Additionally, it ensures consistency in its results.
- It strengthens the hair and conditions it as well
- It gives the hair elasticity and improves on its body
- It is applicable on color-treated hair
- It guarantees consistency in its results
- It doubles down as a moisturizer
- It is a bit costly
- It cannot be used straight out of the box
② Luster’s Shortlooks Color Relaxer 3-n-1 Diamond Black
This relaxer is a three in one hair relaxer that comes with the convenience of being a relaxer and adding color in just one step. The color feature works in such a way that it lasts longer than other coloring brands. It relaxes the hair and moisturizes it as well.
It gives the hair a beautiful, healthy shine and also improves on its body. All this without damaging the hair in any way at all. It is gentle on the hair and the scalp as well. This means that it does not result in any burns whatsoever.
The icing on the cake is that it is affordable and available in several dealerships.
- It relaxes and moisturizes the hair
- It colors the hair
- It is gentle on the hair and the scalp
- It does not cause any damage to the hair
- It is affordable
- It may cause burning if the instructions are not followed to the later
- There are chances that it may cause allergic reactions
③ Avlon Affirm sensitive scalp conditioning relaxer
The Avlon Affirm Sensitive Scalp Conditioning Relaxer is a nine single application system hair relaxer. This hair relaxer is guaranteed to provide maximum comfort to the scalp while strengthening the hair beautifully. It leaves the hair looking radiant, shiny, and healthy.
It rinses out with ease from the hair and does not leave behind any oily residue after rinsing it out. It also works as both a moisturizer and a conditioner for the hair. It is perfect for color-treated hair, does not cause any burns on the application, and is gentle on sensitive scalp. Additionally, it does not cause any hair breakage.
- It conditions and moisturizes the hair making it perfect for dry hair
- It gives the hair a beautiful body
- It promotes elasticity
- It works on color-treated hair
- There is a likelihood that it may cause burns
- It is costly
④ Optimum Care by Softsheen Carson Care
Application of this hair relaxer takes six easy steps. These steps include the protective pretreatment regimen, conditioning which is done to prevent breakage upon application, neutralizing using a neutralizing shampoo, the reconstruct treatment, and finally the leave in and whipped oil moisturizing treatment.
Optimum Care is known for its supreme conditioning features owing to its coconut oil and ceramide ingredients that strengthen the hair. It is also guaranteed to reduce breakage by up to 90% leaving your hair looking shiny, straightened and with a beautiful body. It is very cost friendly and works on all hair types.
- It works well on all hair types
- It straightens the hair
- Its formulated with ceramide and coconut oil for conditioning
- It is very affordable
- In some cases, it may cause dryness of the hair
- It may cause allergic reactions when used on a sensitive scalp
⑤ Softsheen- Carson Dark and Lovely Healthy-Gloss 5 Shea Moisture No-Lye Relaxer
This product is the go-to hair relaxer, especially if you are working within a tight budget. It gives the hair a nice body while softening it and enhancing its silkiness. It is also known to add to the health of the hair, strengthen the hair, and make it more shiny.
The softening features are encouraged by the presence of moisture seal conditioners in its formula. The presence of natural oils like shea butter also adds to its ability to soften the feel of the hair. Its straightening ability is entirely on point as well.
The box in which it is packed comes with well-illustrated instructions on the usage which ensures that the relaxer produces impressive results. It is made for coarse hair, making it perfect for black hair.
- It softens the hair
- It gives the hair a beautiful body
- It straightens and strengthens the hair
- It is quite affordable
- It may cause burns if the instructions of the application are not followed
- There are several fake versions in the market
⑥ ORS Olive Oil Girls No-Lye Conditioning Hair Relaxer System
Perhaps the most impressive feature of this product is the fact that it straightens the hair within a short while after application. This fact means that you do not have to leave it in the hair for a long time before rinsing it off. Hence reducing the chances of burns.
Its made from natural ingredients. In addition to straightening the hair, it also moisturizes it, conditions and strengthens the hair. It contains olive oil and a few other natural oils that enable it to soften the hair, making it more manageable.
This relaxer works on even the tightest of curls leaving the edges of the hair free from frizz and flat. It contains Aloe Vera which protects the skin and the scalp as well.
- It moisturizes and conditions the hair and scalp
- It has aloe vera which protects the skin and the scalp
- It relaxes and smoothens the hair
- It may damage the edges if not used with an edge protecting gel
- It may irritate if it gets in contact with the eyes
⑦ Africa’s Best Super No-Lye Dual Conditioning Relaxer System
As the name suggests, this relaxer is made from herbal extracts that originate from the African continent. Such extracts include virgin olive oil that helps to give the proper hair conditioning. The deep botanical conditioners in this relaxer also allow for a deep conditioning with results in the restoration of moisture and vitamins in the hair.
The relaxer also has a super straightening ability and leaves the hair looking shiny, healthy, and soft. It contains a color change indicator which allows you to tell when the hair is clean, and there is no residue of the relaxer in the hair upon rinsing.
- It provides the hair with the best conditioning
- It strengthens and softens the hair
- It improves on the silkiness and the health of the hair as well
- If instructions of the application are not followed, it may result in burns
- In some cases, it causes hair breakage
⑧ Ultra Sheen Supreme No-Lye Regular Relaxer Kit
This product is one of the most affordable hair relaxers in the market today. It contains special conditioners that work by penetrating the weakest areas of the hair. This minimizes the damage that may result from over processing.
It comes with a dual purpose shampoo with color detection, which can also be used as a neutralizing agent. It is gentle on the scalp and rinses out easily, leaving behind no oily residue. This pack also comes with styling and setting lotion, which allows for more extended lasting roller sets and versatility in the styling.
The relaxer also protects the hair from frizz and gets rid of split ends, leaving the hair soft and silky.
- It conditions the hair
- It eliminates frizz and split ends
- It softens the hair
- It is affordable
- It contains alkali which can cause scalp burns and hair breakage
- It is not suitable for color-treated hair
What It Takes to Be the Best Relaxer for Black Hair
With the many brands and varieties of relaxers in the market, you may need some guidelines to help you choose the best relaxer. For black hair, some of the features to look for in a hair relaxer include;
- No-Lye feature- a relaxer is described as no-lye if it is one with a low PH. This means that it does not interfere with the PH balance between the hair and the skin or scalp. Therefore, it is suitable for sensitive skin and scalp.
A no-lye relaxer also works faster and can be rinsed off after a short while hence reducing the chances of skin and scalp burn as well as breakage of the hair. for black hair, this is exactly what you need.
- The inclusion of a neutralizer as part of the kit- it is always advisable to purchase hair relaxer as a kit. Some of the products that come in the package include a shampoo and a neutralizer. In many cases, the shampoo is the Neutralizer.
What a neutralizer does is that it restores the PH balance between the hair and the scalp preventing damage to the hair.
- Conditioning- for black hair, conditioning is essential when it comes to using a hair relaxer. While some people may prefer purchasing a separate conditioner, it is always wise to go for a hair relaxer that has conditioning features. What happens is that relaxing your hair may be extremely rough on the strands leading to breakage of the hair.
A conditioner will strengthen the hair and prevent it from breaking.
- The ingredients- Ingredients such as natural oils the likes of aloe vera and olive oil help in protecting the hair. Some people may also prefer a product whose elements are all natural or slightly botanical as they are less likely to cause allergic reactions or damage to the hair as those with chemical ingredients. Other ingredients like alkaline may cause breakage of the hair hence should be avoided.
It may also be helpful if you are aware of the ingredients that you are allergic to to avoid them. To find out whether a product may cause allergic reactions to your scalp or skin, it is wise that you perform a strand test. A strand test is where you apply the relaxer on a single strand to test the results before using it on all your hair.
- Your desired results- it is imperative that you consider the results you want. For instance, if you want to color your hair, you may need to go for a relaxer with color features.
- The cost- when looking to buy any product, it is always wise to consider your budget. While most of the high-quality products may come at a high price, if you look well, you will always find affordable products with fantastic reviews.
- Authenticity- while reading the reviews to most of the products above, so many customers have complained of knock-off products. Many dealers out her try to defraud clients by creating knock-offs of popular products. The only way to avoid being a victim of such issues is to purchase your products from trusted dealers the likes of Amazon or directly from the manufacturers.
Other things to consider when deciding on the right relaxer to use
- Your hair type- perhaps this should be the first thing that you should consider. Such things to consider in this context include the texture of your hair, the color of your hair, your curls, and also whether or not your hair is prone to easy breakage.
- The other products you are using on your hair- when you have used other products like color-treatment products on your hair, you need to put this into consideration. There are specific hair relaxer brands that are specially formulated to work on color-treated hair and not interfere with the color in any way.
Did you know that there are different types of relaxers?
There are three types of hair relaxers. There is a mild, regular, and super Relaxer. The mild is best for hair with a smooth texture, the super for coarse hair and the regular for a good texture or both.
The proper way to use hair relaxer
Most relaxers come with instructions on how to apply and use them. Failure to follow the instructions may result in burns and damage to the hair. The necessary steps for application, however, are:
- Make sure you do not wash your hair before application
- In case you are using a new relaxer, begin with the strand test to avoid allergic reactions
- Then you need to start with dividing your hair into small sections using a comb
- Then apply the relaxer on each section using a comb. Ensure that you do not miss any part and that you apply from the scalp. For every application, follow the same direction.
- What follows is to use a timer to time the amount of time you leave the relaxer in your hair.
- Finally, rinse it off carefully, leaving no traces as they may cause skin and scalp burns. Use a neutralizing shampoo or any neutralizer after rinsing.
Some relaxers will need you to mix the different products before application. Such will require the additional first step of the application. However, most relaxers can be used straight out of the box.
Conclusion & What is the Best Relaxer for Black Hair
All the products reviewed above have what it takes to be the best relaxer for black hair. However, the Avlon Fiber Guard Sensitive scalp relaxer (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) would be the go-to choice for me.
This relaxer conditions, moisturizes, strengthens, protects and straightens the hair. When used correctly, it does not cause any skin burns or hair breakages. It is perfect for sensitive scalp and dry hair, and it is also adjustable to mild, normal, and resistant strengths. It works on all hair types and can also be used on color-treated hair.
There you have it, the best relaxer for black hair! Get yours from trusted dealers near you.